One Planet Shop
One Planet Shop, is Accrington’s first community owned co-operative shop. It was set up in 2010, by a bunch of volunteers, passionate about ethical living, sustainability and protecting the planet. By sharing information locally and selling products that are not only good for the planet, but are good for your pocket we encourage customers to make more sustainable choices. We are the first local refill shop, saving you money when refilling your day-to-day essentials, like shampoo and shower gel to washing up liquid.
Our shop is a place where you can meet like-minded individuals, discuss a wide range of topics, share recipes and create friendships. We stock fair-trade, natural and local items and are a proud member of the UK Co-Operatives https://www.uk.coop
There are seven co-operative principles that define how a co-op operates:
- A co-op is owned and controlled by its members. It exists for the benefit of its members, who may be customers, workers, suppliers or the wider community.
- A co-op is democratic – this means every member has an equal say in how it’s run and how profits are used.
- Every member contributes financially in some way – from buying products, working for the co-op, investing in it or deciding how to spend its profits.
- A co-op is an independent business, owned and controlled by its members.
- It offers education and training to everyone involved, so they can develop the co-op and promote the benefits of co-operation.
- It co-operates, works with and supports other co-ops.
- A co-op supports the communities it works with.